Tuesday, May 3, 2016

What The Hell Am I Doing With My Life?

Do you ever just feel stuck?  Like you don't know where you're going or why?  I have a great life.  I'm married to an amazing woman who keeps wanting to remain married to me.  Last summer we bought a home that, while admittedly modest, is everything we've ever wanted.  My adult daughter is off living her life and still texts her Mama regularly to tell me about it.  We have an adorable posse of big dogs whom we love, including the realization of a long-held joint dream - a 4 month old purebred Irish Wolfhound puppy who is the love of our lives.  I have a stable job that makes a decent wage.

So what's the problem?

The problem is I'm 49 years old and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.  I've spent my life chewing on a myriad of options of what direction to go in my life.  I'm a planner by nature so I have taken great joy over the years figuring out how to make just about any dream come to fruition.  The problem is I never settled on a particular dream plan to put into action for myself.  Suddenly it isn't so cool to think about finally going back to college to get that degree.  I work for a major university that offers me an amazing tuition discount and while I would love to pursue any of a number of bachelor's degrees, it isn't cost-effective at this late date to pursue one just because I want to pursue it.

I've long wanted to open my own business - set myself up as a virtual assistant, sell handmade soaps, or open a food truck, cupcake shop, or small metaphysical store.  Any number of idea have floated through my mind, some more often than others, but lives there continuously in a way that would make evident that it is a business I am passionate about and should pursue.

Is is passion that I'm lacking?  The "experts" always say to follow your passion and the rest will follow.  What if you have no life passion?

Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment